President Biden and Vice President Harris have centered the needs of working families since day one, creating good-paying union jobs, safer communities, and greater opportunities for all Americans. The Biden-Harris Administration is investing in places and people that have historically been left behind – delivering policies that grow our economy from the bottom up and middle out, not the top down – and will continue fighting to ensure working families are put first. The president is ready to work across the aisle to build on this progress – but he won’t hesitate to call out extreme proposals, like cutting Social Security and Medicare, banning abortion nationwide, and enabling wealthy tax cheats, that would hurt working families.
President Biden has fought for working families from day one. Read more about specific policies he’s delivered on key issues:
President Biden’s economic policies are fueling historic job growth, positioning American workers and businesses to compete in the 21st century, and building an economy that rewards work, not wealth. His agenda is:
- Lowering costs for families. The Inflation Reduction Act President Biden signed is lowering the cost of health care, prescription drugs, and energy bills, all while creating an estimated 9 million jobs over the next decade and ensuring the biggest corporations pay their fair share in taxes.
- Creating millions of good-paying union jobs that don’t require a college degree. Since taking office our economy has created more than 12 million jobs, including hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs, and unemployment fell to a 50-year low.
- Putting money back in the pockets of working families. Not only are prices, including gas prices, coming down, but real wages have increased, giving families more breathing room in their budgets.
- Cracking down on excess junk fees. President Biden directed his administration to take action to save families money on all kinds of purchases – from concerts to plane tickets to hotel bookings.
- Investing in manufacturing here at home. President Biden has signed legislation to bring manufacturing jobs back to the U.S., spurring dozens of companies to build multi-billion-dollar factories here at home to build the technologies of the future.
- Cutting the deficit. President Biden’s agenda lowered the deficit by $1.7 trillion in 2022 alone, and he has a plan for an additional $3 trillion deficit reduction – all fully paid for by cracking down on wealthy tax cheats and ensuring they pay their fair share.
President Biden’s agenda is strengthening our economy and protecting our climate by creating millions of good-paying jobs to build our clean energy future. His policies are:
- Combating the climate crisis. The Inflation Reduction Act President Biden signed delivers the most significant climate action in history and will help the U.S. reduce carbon emissions by over 40% by 2030.
- Lowering energy costs. The Inflation Reduction Act saves families an average of $1,000 a year on their energy bills while strengthening production of clean energy like wind and solar.
- Creating clean energy jobs. The Inflation Reduction Act provides tax credits and investments for energy projects, creating thousands of new, good-paying union jobs and helping to lower energy costs in the future.
- Cleaning up pollution. The Biden-Harris Administration is implementing historic programs to tackle pollution and reduce emissions – including enforcing new, ambitious federal standards for tailpipe pollution from cars and light trucks.
- Restoring global climate leadership. On his first day in office, President Biden announced the U.S. would rejoin the Paris Climate Accord, reestablishing our role as a leader in the global fight against climate change.
- Working for climate justice. President Biden mandated that 40% of the benefits of federal climate investments go to disadvantaged communities across the country to right the historic wrongs of environmental injustice.
- DEMOCRACY AND CIVIL RIGHTS
Every American — no matter their race or zip code — has a fundamental right to vote and to have their vote counted. A democracy that works is essential for a government that works, but today, Americans’ fundamental freedom to vote is under attack.
- Signing the Electoral Count Act. This critical law addresses outdated laws and closes loopholes that could put our nation’s free and fair elections at risk.
- Expanding voting rights. On the 56th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, President Biden signed an executive order to leverage the resources of the federal government to increase access to voter registration services and information about voting. Later, on National Voter Registration Day, each federal agency submitted a strategic plan to comply with the president’s order.
- Confirming diverse judges. President Biden has confirmed 100+ federal judges, including 74+ women. Notably confirmed Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, and 11 Black appeals court judges – more than all other presidents combined.
President Biden’s policies got students back to school safely and are tackling the student debt crisis, lowering education costs, supporting teachers, and investing in HBCUs and MSIs:
- Getting students back to school safely. The president’s American Rescue Plan delivered $122 billion in funding — along with additional state and local relief — to support K-12 schools, allowing millions of kids to return to the classroom safely.
- Tackling the student debt crisis. President Biden is fighting for his historic student debt relief program, which erases up to $20,000 in student debt for working Americans – completely erasing debt for 1 in 3 Black borrowers and nearly half of Latino borrowers.
- Lowering education costs. In addition to the president’s plan to erase student debt, his administration is taking action to address skyrocketing education costs and crack down on predatory loans.
- Supporting teachers. The Department of Education is helping Americans find jobs in schools and working to ensure teachers have the training and tools they need.
- Investing in HBCUs and MSIs. The Biden-Harris Administration has allocated historic funding and support for HBCUs and MSIs to ensure all students have the resources and support to get ahead.
- HEALTH CARE
President Biden delivered the largest expansion of affordable health care in a decade through the Inflation Reduction Act, which is:
- Expanding health care coverage. The Inflation Reduction Act expands health care coverage to 3 million Americans through the Affordable Care Act.
- Protecting health care coverage. 13 million Americans who were at risk of losing coverage will have their coverage protected thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Lowering prescription drug and health care costs. The Inflation Reduction Act takes on Big Pharma, including by capping monthly insulin costs at $35/month and annual prescription costs at $2,000/year for seniors on Medicare.
- Supporting our veterans. President Biden signed bipartisan legislation to deliver health care funding for veterans exposed to toxic burn pits, a historic expansion of VA health care & benefits.
President Biden is taking a whole-of-government approach to reform our broken immigration system and create more just, humane processes that welcome immigrants, keep families together, and allow people to contribute more fully to our country – a plan that Republicans in Congress continue to obstruct. The president’s plan:
- Makes our immigration system more humane. Unlike his predecessor, President Biden’s policies keep families together, prohibit discrimination based on religion, and limit presidential authority to issue discriminatory bans.
- Tackles smuggling and human trafficking. The Biden-Harris Administration is making our communities safer by taking thousands of smugglers off the streets and catching record levels of fentanyl before it even reaches our border.
- Addresses the root causes of migration. President Biden and Vice President Harris have worked with global partners to address the root causes of migration by increasing assistance to El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras, improving the immigration courts, and supporting asylum seekers and other vulnerable populations.
The Biden-Harris Administration delivered the most significant investment in our infrastructure since the 1950s and it’s already modernizing America, improving our infrastructure and creating millions of good-paying jobs. The impact is already visible as projects have broken ground in communities across the country.
- Making more in America by American workers. President Biden has set firm standards to require all construction materials used in federal infrastructure projects to be made in America with American products – that means more good-paying union jobs that don’t require a college degree!
- Rebuilding roads and bridges. The projects funded by this law will improve roads and bridges so that commutes are faster and safer and goods can move faster and cheaper.
- Delivering clean drinking water. This once-in-a-generation investment is replacing lead pipes across America, delivering safer, cleaner water for our families.
- Expanding access to affordable high-speed internet. The Internet For All program, funded by this bipartisan legislation, is connecting everyone in America to affordable, reliable high-speed Internet service.
- JUSTICE, SAFETY, AND EQUALITY
The Biden-Harris Administration centers equity and justice in all it does, from climate investments to criminal justice reform.
- Protecting same-sex and interracial marriage. President Biden signed legislation to protect same-sex and interracial marriage, affirming that everyone has the right to marry who they love.
- Gun safety. President Biden delivered the first major gun safety legislation in nearly three decades to protect our communities and save lives.
- Accountable policing. Through executive action, President Biden advanced effective, accountable policing and strengthened public safety.
- Justice40. President Biden signed an executive order establishing the Justice40 Initiative, which mandates that 40% of all federal climate investments should go to underserved and minority communities, delivering critical resources to those that need them most.
- REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS
Since before Roe v. Wade was overturned, President Biden and Vice President Harris have mobilized the full force of the federal government to defend abortion access nationwide. The Biden-Harris Administration is:
- Expanding access to contraception. HHS has clarified contraception coverage for those with private health insurance and delivered funding to support quality family planning services.
- Protecting the right to travel. President Biden signed an executive order to help cover the cost of traveling to seek an abortion, and the DOJ continues to defend the right to travel across state lines to seek care.
- Defending patients and doctors from attacks. President Biden continues to call out extreme and misguided attempts to criminalize patients and doctors nationwide.
- Safeguarding patient privacy. HHS has issued guidance to protect patient information and help Americans understand how their data is protected.
Looking forward, President Biden is ready to finish the job he’s started, working across the aisle to continue lowering costs, creating jobs, and expanding opportunity. And he’s going to keep opposing extreme MAGA policies to undo historic economic gains, cut Medicare and Social Security, and enable wealthy tax cheats – policies that only benefit Big Pharma, Big Oil and special interests at the expense of working families.
See more on the president’s priorities as he continues to deliver for working families:
- Care: The Child Tax Credit included in President Biden’s American Rescue Plan helped cut child poverty by half; the president continues to push to expand this support for families, as well as to invest in affordable child and home care that will enable millions more people to go to work.
- Climate: After signing the biggest investment in climate action in history, President Biden will continue to take aggressive action to safeguard clean air and clean water, and protect America’s great outdoors for future generations.
- Education: President Biden believes we need to invest in free preschool for 3- and 4-year olds, free community college, give public school teachers a raise, connect students to job opportunities in high school, and invest in career training nationwide.
- Gun Safety: President Biden helped deliver the first assault weapons ban when he was a senator – a ban that brought down gun deaths and made communities safer – and he’s determined to reinstate it.
- Immigration: President Biden continues to push to expand legal migration and create a pathway to citizenship for millions, including undocumented individuals. His plan would make millions of Dreamers, TPS holders, and immigrant farm workers eligible for green cards immediately.
- Justice and Policing: President Biden has taken executive action on policing, and continues to push Congress to pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act. Every American should be treated fairly and with dignity when interacting with police.
- Labor: President Biden continues to put workers front and center in his agenda, and continues to advocate for greater sick days, paid family and medical leave, and stronger labor protections – including passing the PRO Act, because all workers have the right to form a union.
- Mental Health: Mental health is a key element of the president’s Unity Agenda. Since taking office, he’s committed unprecedented resources to address the mental health crisis in America, and he’s ready to work across the aisle to build on these historic investments.
- Opioids: The opioid crisis is hurting communities across the country. President Biden is determined to tackle this crisis and save lives, building on his work to crack down on drug trafficking and invest in treatment programs.
- Reproductive Freedom: President Biden and Vice President Harris stand with the majority of Americans who oppose MAGA efforts to extend government oversight into personal, private decisions, and continue to call on Congress to codify Roe once and for all.
- Veterans: The Biden-Harris Administration remains committed to supporting America’s veterans, including by working to end veteran homelessness and expanding veterans’ benefits.
- Voting Rights: President Biden continues to call on Congress to pass the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act to end partisan gerrymandering, push back on the influence of big money in politics, and prevent discrimination at the polls.