Republicans’ Disastrous “plan” To Fight Inflation: Higher Costs, Fewer Jobs, Longer Pandemic
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 29, 2021
PRESS CONTACT: [email protected]
REPUBLICANS’ DISASTROUS “PLAN” TO FIGHT INFLATION: HIGHER COSTS, FEWER JOBS, LONGER PANDEMIC
Republican “plan” to obstruct President’s Build Back Better Act and roll back progress to combat COVID-19 would threaten Americans’ safety and our economy
WASHINGTON, D.C. – President Biden has been using every tool at his disposal to fight the rising costs that have been driven by pandemic-induced disruptions, from tackling COVID-19 to working to pass the Build Back Better Act — an enormous investment in lowering costs for everyday families, including health care, utility bills, child care, and prescription drugs.
Meanwhile, after months of treating the issue like a political football, Republicans’ newly unveiled “plan” to address inflation is a mix of obstructionism and policies like rolling back measures to fight COVID-19 that would burden families with higher costs, slow down the economic recovery and cost the economy millions of jobs, and allow COVID-19 to spiral out of control.
While economic experts agree that the Build Back Better Act would ease inflation and make our economy stronger, Republicans are uniformly opposed to the President’s plan.
- The Build Back Better Act is a once-in-a-generation investment in cutting costs for everyday families — from cutting child care costs in half, making preschool free, lowering the cost of prescription drugs, saving Americans money on their utility bills, and more.
- In fact, 17 Nobel Laureates, former Treasury Secretaries, and other independent experts have said that President Biden’s economic plans are working, and they’ll be the answer to lowering costs and bringing down inflation — not the cause of it.
- And, the plan is fully paid for by ensuring the wealthiest Americans and big corporations pay their fair share.
While President Biden has jump-started a historic economic recovery and used every tool at his disposal to bring down costs, Republicans have for months treated inflation like a political football.
- Under the Biden-Harris Administration, the American economy is recovering from the pandemic-induced economic crisis faster than every other advanced economy in the world, with the fastest economic growth our nation has seen in this time period in nearly forty years.
- The President has taken immediate action to lower prices, speed up deliveries, and fix shortages by strengthening our supply chains — from directing the FTC to investigate anti-consumer behavior by oil and gas companies to improving movement of goods at ports, waterways, freight networks, and more.
- Meanwhile, Republicans have been actively rooting against our economy, with a leading GOP Senator even calling the issue a “gold mine” for their party.
While President Biden has worked to tackle COVID-19 and get shots in arms, Republicans’ plan would allow the pandemic to spiral out of control and wreck our economy.
- Under the Biden-Harris Administration, more than 230 million Americans have now gotten their first vaccination shot.
- And, the President’s vaccination plan boosts our economy — 100% of economists surveyed by the University of Chicago said vaccine requirements would “promote a faster and stronger economic recovery.”
- But Republicans want to roll back COVID safety measures and end vaccine requirements that have gotten shots in arms and allowed businesses to operate safely.
- Allowing COVID-19 to spiral out of control would undo the enormous progress under the Biden-Harris Administration and tank the economy by costing millions of jobs, wrecking the supply chain, and jacking up inflation.