POTUS Takes Executive Action To Strengthen Background Checks, Building On His Record Of Strong Action On Gun Safety
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 14, 2023
PRESS CONTACT: [email protected]
POTUS TAKES EXECUTIVE ACTION TO STRENGTHEN BACKGROUND CHECKS, BUILDING ON HIS RECORD OF STRONG ACTION ON GUN SAFETY
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, President Biden announced he will sign an executive order to move the U.S. as close to universal background checks as possible without additional action from Congress. This executive order increases effective use of “red flag” laws, takes action to hold the gun industry accountable, and helps state, local, and federal agencies coordinate with nonprofits and community organizations to support communities in the wake of a mass shooting. President Biden has delivered more executive actions on gun safety than any other president at this point in their term, and today’s order builds on his previous work alongside advocates and allies to address gun violence and make our communities safer.
“President Biden has seen firsthand the pain that gun violence has inflicted on communities across the country, and he’s fought to strengthen gun safety laws – including by supporting a national assault weapons ban as a senator,” said Building Back Together Executive Director Danielle Melfi. “As president, he’s signed the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act to strengthen gun safety regulations and called on his administration to take a whole-of-government approach to this issue. His commitment to gun safety is in sharp contrast to Congressional Republicans, who continue to oppose common sense reforms, choosing to side with NRA lobbyists instead of most Americans. As he visits Monterey Park, California today to unveil this latest executive action, President Biden is focused on supporting communities impacted by gun violence and preventing future tragedies.”
President Biden has taken the most executive action on gun safety of any president at this point in their term:
- President Biden signed the historic Bipartisan Safer Communities Act – the first major gun safety legislation in nearly 30 years.
- He has signed more than 20 executive orders to strengthen gun safety and protect communities.
Today’s executive order builds on this progress by:
- Strengthening “red flag” laws to keep guns out of dangerous hands.
- Fueling efforts to hold the gun industry accountable for their role in the gun violence epidemic.
- Calling on the FTC to investigate how the gun industry markets firearms to minors.
- Supporting law enforcement efforts to find and apprehend shooters.
- Helping state, local, and federal agencies coordinate with nonprofits and community organizations to support communities in the wake of a mass shooting.
President Biden stands with the vast majority of Americans in support of stronger gun safety laws. He’s delivered more than 20 executive orders to prevent violence and keep our communities safe; now it’s on Congress to deliver federal legislation.