POTUS’ Agenda Is Popular And Delivers For Working Families – Unlike MAGA Alternative
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 9, 2023
PRESS CONTACT: [email protected]
POTUS’ AGENDA IS POPULAR AND DELIVERS FOR WORKING FAMILIES – UNLIKE MAGA ALTERNATIVE
WASHINGTON, D.C. — As President Biden outlines his budget for the coming year today, his agenda continues to deliver popular wins for working families – a sharp contrast to the MAGA alternative. Under his leadership, we’ve created more than 12 million jobs, including 800,000 manufacturing jobs, unemployment for Black and Latino workers is at a historic low, costs are coming down, and we’re investing in manufacturing here at home.
The president’s budget builds on the economic progress we’ve seen since he took office and finishes the job by investing in child care, education, workforce development, housing, Medicare, and other essentials families rely on. It’s also fully paid for, while reducing the deficit by $3 trillion, by cracking down on fraud, cutting wasteful spending on special interests, and ensuring the ultra wealthy pay their fair share – without raising taxes for anyone making less than $400,000 a year. These policies are broadly popular, unlike the extreme MAGA alternative.
President Biden is committed to finishing the job he’s started by lowering costs, investing in America, and growing our economy. His budget:
- Reduces the deficit by nearly $3 trillion over 10 years by cracking down on wealthy tax cheats, cutting wasteful spending, including on Big Oil and Gas giveaways, and negotiating down the cost of prescription drugs.
- 57% of Americans say lowering the deficit should be a top policy focus.
- A majority of Americans support making the ultra wealthy pay their fair share.
- By a margin of nearly 3 to 1, Americans support a minimum tax on billionaires.
- 58% of Americans support increasing taxes on corporate stock buybacks.
- 77% of Americans say lower prescription drug costs is a priority for them.
- Lowers the cost of essentials for families by investing in affordable child care, housing, and education, paid leave for workers, and capping the cost of insulin for all.
- 80% of Americans, including 70% of Republicans, support paid family, parental, and medical leave.
- 84% of Americans support a $35 a month cap on insulin costs for all Americans.
- 74% of Americans, including 60% of Republicans, support funding for affordable child care.
- 69% of Americans support increasing affordable housing.
- Protects and strengthens Medicare and Social Security for the next generation, ensuring Medicare is fully funded for 25 years more and preventing benefit cuts.
- Invests in America to boost domestic manufacturing, deploy clean energy, fund cancer research, veterans services, and mental health services, and tackle the opioid epidemic – policies that are broadly popular nationwide.
Congressional Republicans, meanwhile, are pushing a deeply unpopular MAGA agenda that would raise costs, hurt working families, and balloon the deficit:
- Raises costs by repealing key provisions of the Inflation Reduction Act that cut the cost of health care, prescription drugs, and energy bills for families.
- Threatens cuts to Social Security and Medicare – along with other programs families rely on, like Medicaid and the ACA.
- Cuts to Social Security and Medicare are deeply unpopular with large majorities of Americans, even among Republicans.
- Just 11% of Republicans support cutting funding for these programs.
- These extreme proposals increase the deficit by $3 trillion – hurting our economy and working families in order to cater to the ultra wealthy, big corporations, and special interests.
It’s time for Congressional Republicans to be transparent about what’s on their chopping block. President Biden is ready to work across the aisle to deliver for working families – but he won’t hesitate to veto extreme, unpopular policies that would hurt the middle class.