NEW POLLING: Americans Support Upholding Roe by 2-to-1 Margin
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 3, 2022
PRESS CONTACT: [email protected]
NEW POLLING: AMERICANS SUPPORT UPHOLDING ROE BY 2-TO-1 MARGIN
As POTUS works to defend abortion rights, conservatives on the Court and Republicans in Congress are on the wrong side of the American people
WASHINGTON, D.C. — In a new Post-ABC poll, a majority of Americans said the Supreme Court should uphold Roe v. Wade, echoing poll, after poll, after poll, after poll of Americans who support the fundamental right to reproductive health care that has been established law for nearly 50 years. While President Biden reaffirmed today his commitment to protecting this right and signing legislation codifying Roe into law, those who oppose Roe are poised to criminalize abortions and punish those who provide and seek abortion care.
Polling consistently shows that the large majority of Americans oppose the anti-choice, extremist agenda to undo 50 years of precedent by overturning Roe:
- Washington Post: “With the Supreme Court poised to overturn the right to abortion, the survey finds that 54 percent of Americans think the 1973 Roe decision should be upheld while 28 percent believe it should be overturned — a roughly 2-to-1 margin.”
- CNN: “Just 30% of Americans say they’d like to see the Supreme Court completely overturn its Roe vs. Wade decision, with 69% opposed — a finding that’s largely consistent both with other recent polling and with historical trends.”
- CNN: “In CNN’s polling dating back to 1989, the share of the public in favor of completely overturning Roe has never risen above 36%.”
Overturning Roe v. Wade would lead to the criminalization of abortion and punishment of people seeking and providing reproductive health care with no exceptions, even in cases of rape or incest:
- USA Today: “If the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, states would be free to make abortion illegal. Nearly half of U.S. states already have laws in place that would take effect immediately upon a Supreme Court ruling.”
- Rolling Stone: “Many trigger laws would not only ban abortion outright, but heavily criminalize providers…some states, like Louisiana, have laws in place that make no exception for rape or incest.”
- Washington Post: “In 2022, red states have passed more extreme laws that often don’t allow for exceptions for abortion in the case of rape.”
This unpopular, extremist agenda puts the government between an individual and their doctor, and is an urgent call to stop Republicans in Congress and conservatives on the Court from making abortion illegal.