New Mexicans Will Lose Critical Benefits During a MAGA Republican Shutdown
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 29, 2023
PRESS CONTACT: McKenzie Wilson, [email protected], 773-715-0169
NEW MEXICANS WILL LOSE CRITICAL BENEFITS DURING A MAGA REPUBLICAN SHUTDOWN
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Because of MAGA House Republicans, the federal government is on the verge of a shutdown that will have devastating consequences for New Mexico’s communities, economy, and national security.
If MAGA Republicans succeed in their plan to shut down the federal government, New Mexicans will pay the price:
- 13,400 New Mexico service members will not be paid during a MAGA Republican shutdown.
- 36,719 women, children, and infants in New Mexico will be at risk of losing critical nutrition assistance under a MAGA Republican shutdown.
- 216 TSA officers and 254 air traffic controllers from New Mexico will be forced to work without pay during a MAGA Republican shutdown.
- 6 disaster recovery projects across New Mexico will be delayed during a MAGA Republican shutdown.
- Small businesses in New Mexico would lose out on $616,100 every day during a MAGA Republican shutdown.
In response to the looming MAGA Republican shutdown, Building Back Together spokesperson McKenzie Wilson released the following statement:
“The clock is ticking — and MAGA Republicans need to come to the table and pass a government funding deal.
The consequences of a government shutdown are staggering. Without pay, service members and their families will not be able to pay their mortgages; FDA food inspections will be delayed, leaving public health at risk; flights may be delayed; Medicare and Social Security recipients will not be able to get the support they need from federal services.
A government shutdown threatens the safety of Americans in every single area of our lives. And just months after threatening to tank the American economy and push the world into a global recession, extreme Republicans in Congress are all too willing to once again use American families as their hostage.
Not even the full Republican conference supports this political gamesmanship. Just this week, Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell himself said “Government shutdowns don’t produce meaningful policy outcomes. Instead, they leave millions of Americans on edge and put progress on the nation’s business on ice.”
We agree. And it’s time that extreme, MAGA Republicans face the reality that their push for a shutdown is unpopular, unnecessary, and unprecedented — and stand down.”